The Greylock Glass - Civil Registry Discussion

Hi The Greylock Glass. You have successfully submitted your application to join the Civil Registry. Over the next 10 days, members of the Civil community may reach out to you with questions regarding your editorial policy, privacy policy, and business model. Newsrooms will get an email alert every time there is a comment relating to their Civil Registry Profile. Please make sure to check this discussion forum regularly to respond to community comments.

Cross-posting from the previous discussion forum for posterity:

blochaintrailblazers - 3 months ago

I see a number of links and banners on your website not labelled as advertising that lead to landing pages with paid offers.

greylockglass

2 months ago

I have two paying sponsors currently, a pizza restaurant and a wine shop — Both are identified as sponsors on the homepage. ALL the other display ads link to the websites of friends; when I don’t have many sponsors, I simply drop the images in as placeholders so the sidebar doesn’t look so empty. As for links, in my articles, I ALWAYS link to the organization or business that is the subject of reporting — I don’t charge for that. For example, I have a story about an art exhibition on the homepage right now. I link to the museum so that readers who’d like more information (directions, handicap accessibility, photography rules, etc.) can go right to the source.

blockchaintrailblazers

3 months ago

Is Dreamhost an affiliate link? If so, shouldn’t visitors be made aware of this? You’d be endorsing the hosting without making people aware you are earning a commission.

greylockglass

2 months ago

THANK YOU! That banner has been banging around my site for some time now, but I never see it, since it has only ever lived in a placeholder sidebar for the last year at least. When I created that placeholder page, it populated the sidebar automatically.

My affiliate membership has not been active for some time, but your query reminded me to renew it! I have not made a penny from it in the four+ years I’ve been running my site, but one can always hope, right? And yes, an “Affiliate Link” notification is definitely appropriate. Thanks!

blockchaintrailblazers

3 months ago

If premium members are paying to be featured in a podcast, will these podcasts be identified as sponsored content?

greylockglass

2 months ago

Hey, Blockchain Trailblazers — I only became aware of this thread due to a bunch of back-and-forth over at the Slack discussion group. I’ll address your questions/concerns individually.

The answer to “…will these podcasts be identified as sponsored content?”

Firstly, a sponsor would have to fork over a bunch of money every month ($100) to get that level of shout-out (the most we’ve ever gotten is $5), so I don’t think it would ever happen, but the answer is YES! I will always identify sponsors because I WANT people to know that when you sponsor our work, we recognize you publicly! That might encourage others to give a couple of bucks.

Great question!