Last modified: June 15, 2018
CIVIL respects your privacy and is committed to the privacy and security of your information.
Users of the Website may be referred to by “you”, “your” or “User(s)”.
Relationship between CIVIL and Newsrooms
Type of Information CIVIL Collects About You
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or could reasonably be used to identify you as an individual when combined with other information we may have. Personal Information does not include information that has been aggregated or anonymized such that it can no longer be reasonably associated with a specific person (see Non-Personal Information below).
The Personal Information that we collect may include:
- Contract Information: including personal email addresses.
- Identity Data: including name and title.
- Ethereum Public Key: Participation in the network governance is stored on the blockchain. CIVIL will gather clickstream information and as part of that may collect your Ethereum public key. CIVIL may use your Ethereum public key to tie a clickstream session with prior activity on the blockchain.
- Information You Provide: If you request support or help from a Civil newsroom, you may be redirected to the Website for Civil or its vendors to assist the newsroom in addressing your concern. In such event, Civil or its vendors may collect whatever information you provide.
We may collect Non-Personal Information about Users whenever they interact with our Website. These may include:
- Device and Software Data: including information about your computer hardware and software that may be automatically collected by us such as your internet protocol (IP) address, universal unique identifiers (UUID), device type, operating system, browser type, domain name, access time and working directories.
- Cookie Data: including tracking technology data such as time spent on the Website, pages visited, and other anonymous traffic data.
- Platform Usage Data: including information about specific use of the Website and Civil Platform, such as dates, times and duration.
How CIVIL Collects Information From You
CIVIL does not collect any Personal Information about you through the Website unless you voluntarily choose to provide us with such information. The Personal Information we collect may come directly from you by:
- Signing up for “Announcements and Updates”;
- Opening or responding to our emails;
- Sending us emails, electronic communications or providing us with business cards;
- Filling out surveys or information that we might ask you to complete for research purposes;
- Submitting support or other similar requests to us;
When you use our Website, we may collect information Non-Personal Information through:
- Automatic Data Collection Technologies: tracking technologies such as browser cookies and clickstream data technologies that automatically collect non-personal information when you navigate throughout the Website, such as traffic data, UUIDs.
Google Analytics: We may also utilize Google Analytics for certain web analytics. You can opt out of your Website usage data being included in our Google Analytics reports by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We may also receive (as opposed to collect) Personal Information through:
- Third Party Service Provides or publicly available resources: we may receive Personal Information from our Third Party Service Providers who have collected and may transfer your information to us if necessary for their services or from publicly available resources.
How Civil Uses Your Information
We may use your Personal information to:
- Send you announcements and updates about the CIVIL platform and our services that we think may be of interest to you (this may include marketing) once you have signed up for “Announcements and Updates”;
We may use your Non-Personal information to:
- Analyze growth and usage of the Website and Newsrooms;
- Present our Website and its contents to you;
We may collect your information on the basis that:
- You have consented to such use, e.g. by submitting your email when signing up for “Announcements and Updates” or submitting a support request;
- Use of the information is necessary for the performance of our services or a contract we have entered into with you;
- It is necessary to do so for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do no override those interests;
- In very rare cases, it is necessary to protect your interests or such collection is in the public interest.
How CIVIL Discloses Your Information
If you submit support or similar requests regarding or relating to a newsroom through Civil, Civil may share that information with the appropriate newsroom and any corresponding third-party vendors providing services in connection with such support or similar requests.
CIVIL may disclose aggregated and Non-Personal Information about the use and performance of the Website without restrictions, as long as such information does not include your Personal Information.
How CIVIL Retains Your Information
CIVIL retains your information for no longer then the period necessary to fulfill the purpose we collect it for, unless a longer retention period is determined by law.
How CIVIL Secures Your Information
We implement administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect your Personal Information and other information on our systems. Notwithstanding our efforts to protect your information, no security system is completely impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that information you supply to us will not be intercepted while in transit to us over the Internet.
How Third Parties May Collect Your Data
Third Party Service Providers may require you to submit personal information directly to them, including financial information such as your billing address, credit or debit card numbers, bank account information, billing and payment history.
We try our best to collaborate with Third Party Service Providers that are committed to protecting your privacy like we are, but we do not control their policies for handling information, which may be different from ours. It is your responsibility to review Third Party Service Providers’ privacy policies so that you can understand how they collect, use and store your information when you access their websites or services, whether directly through their websites or through our Website.
How We Share the Information We Collect
We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties in order to comply with the law, to law enforcement or other governmental agencies, to enforce or protect our rights in or otherwise with respect to, or the safety of, our Website, or to protect the safety or rights of other users of our Website.
If we establish a new related entity, are acquired by or merged with another organization, or if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another organization, Personal Information about our users is often a transferred business asset. In the event that CIVIL itself or substantially all of our assets are acquired, Personal Information about our users may be one of the transferred assets.
We may share aggregate and anonymized Personal Information to third parties in order to promote or describe use of the Website, for research, marketing, advertising, or similar purposes.
Children under the Age of 18
Communications you received when you sign up for “Announcements and Updates” are not intended for children under 18 years of age. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 18. If you are under 18, we welcome you to browse the Website and Newsrooms but do not provide any Personal Information on this Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the comment features of this Website or provide any Personal Information to us about yourself, including your name and email address. If we find out that we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under the age of 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we may have Personal Information from or about a child under 18, please contact us at email@example.com.
How You Can Control Your Information
CIVIL is not able to search for Non-Personal Information or other anonymized information.
If you have provided Personal Information to CIVIL through the Website however, you can request to have any Personal Information provided to us corrected or deleted at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Email Address Deletion Request”.
If you would like further information about the information CIVIL may have collected, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Data Request”.
CIVIL is a Global Platform
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident, under California Civil Code section 1798.83, you may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing the types of Personal Information we have shared with third parties (if any) for those parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to request a copy of this notice, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “California Resident Request”. Please note that we do not currently share any Personal Information for direct marketing purposes.
Where provided under applicable law, you may request a copy of the personal information about you that we hold, and you may ask about all recipients of the information, the purpose of the processing, request the correction of incorrect information, and request the blocking and deletion of such information by contacting us at email@example.com. We may require you to prove your identity with approved identification if you request this information. Any access request may be subject to a fee to provide you with details of the personal information we hold about you.
You have the right, where provided under applicable law, to ask us not to process your personal information.
You have the right, where provided under applicable law, to ask us not to process your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of anywhere else in the world and would like further information about the information CIVIL may have collected about you, please email email@example.com the subject line “Data Request”. We will try our best to respond to such requests.
Have questions or comments?