Blockchainmedia.id - Civil Registry Discussion

Welcome to the Civil Registry, Blockchainmedia.id! Members of the Civil community may reach out to you with questions that could range from editorial policy, to privacy policies to business models. You will get an email alert every time there is a comment relating to your Civil Registry Profile.

(Cross posting here from previous discussion, for posterity:)

Benjamin - 2 months ago

First off, I apologize if any of these issues are incorrect as a result of the language barrier. Reviewing your application, I found the following issues:

• I could not find a privacy policy on your website, as required by the Constitution.

• In the about use section, I found reference to an event hosting service that was not listed under either the CoI disclosures or the revenue sources on the website.

• A more minor issue: from some Google searching, I think that some of the leadership owns cryptocurrencies that they cover. It would be ideal if these were disclosed as CoIs.

If these issues were resolved, I don’t think that I would have any remaining concerns with your website.

This is a very difficult newsroom to evaluate because it is in Indonesian, and it is not possible to highlight the text to move it over to Google Translate or put it into a search engine to look for plagiarism. However, a scan of the site reveals several concerning factors:

1. As far as I can tell, there is neither a disclosure of conflict of interest nor a statement of user data privacy.
  2. I see no method for communicating with the editorial staff with concerns.
  3. It is fairly clear that the line is very blurry here between what is journalism and what is promotion of businesses in which the authors and editors have a personal stake. As has been stated in other instances, it is not necessarily disqualifying for a newsroom to employ persons who are intimately familiar with a particular field of endeavor; indeed, that is highly desirable. But a clear statement of conflict of interest should be published and the actual or perceived conflict should be mitigated as much as possible. Every author I have searched also has a vested interest in some sort of cryptocurrency venture.
  4. As mentioned in an earlier comment, this newsroom appears to own an event-sponsoring service that could be in direct conflict with the businesses they are covering.

Since there is no way for me to communicate this directly to the owners of this newsroom via email, I would ask that Civil management communicate to them that these concerns have been raised. Thanks.

1 Like