Arepita - Civil Registry Discussion

Welcome to the Civil Registry, Arepita! Members of the Civil community may reach out to you with questions that could range from editorial policy, to privacy policies to business models. You will get an email alert every time there is a comment relating to your Civil Registry Profile.

Cross-posting from previous discussion forum for posterity:

Greylock Glass 1 month ago

(Edited)

The issue of “where is the news platform” has come up before. Dariela Sosa, the idea that your news product is an e-mail newsletter is problematic. The CIVIL community has no way to judge your journalism or practices without signing up for the newsletter. I understand the value of having a “members-only” delivery model that keeps your audience loyal, but I’m just not sure that the approach will ever fit in with the CIVIL vision.

Reidob

1 month ago

Hmm…is a paywall really prohibited by the Constitution? I’m not sure that’s the case. In this case it sounds like it’s not an issue, since we can view the backlog on the website for free, but it’s an interesting question: if a newsroom has a paywall, do we insist that we be given free access in order to be able to monitor the newsroom without having to pay for access? Of course, as supporters of good journalism, perhaps we should simply be willing to pony up the small amount of money required to do what we need to do.

Elena_CivilFoundation

Staff

1 month ago

I don’t agree. Members-only delivery model is not prohibited explicitly by the Consitution.

HaimR

1 month ago

I also disagree. I found it quite easy to sign up for the free email newsletter and my brief review of a week’s worth of news from Arepita revealed serious, well written journalism. Besides, the Civil constitution does not prohibit a paywall.

Dariela_Sosa

1 month ago

Hi! You can read all the “Arepitas” here without signing up: https://www.soyarepita.com/arepitas/

We have a membership program that offers additional opportunities for the community (e.g. participating in editorial meetings, early access to new products, exclusive content, etc)

Let me know if you have another concern,
Dariela

Dariela_Sosa

1 month ago

P.S: our webmaster left only the most recent 20 Arepitas in the website. However, if it is important for the Civil community, we can publish all the archive (since March 2017).

Reidob

1 month ago

Thanks for your responsiveness to this concern. It is my opinion that if you could publish your archives on the website, this would satisfy those of us who wish to consider your body of work.

Christine_Bush

1 month ago

Welcome.

I have no problem with an e-mail subscription service applying to be a newsroom, especially if it happens to be free and provides hyper-local coverage of Venezuelan stories. I have subscribed and look forward to experiencing Arepita in action. Thank you for going the extra step and providing a link as well.

You will find a diversity of views about the paradigm of newsrooms from different Civil members. I am of the opinion that if your journalism makes a good faith effort to absorb the general, but sometimes contested, concepts we currently have in the Civil constitution that a newsroom should not be expected to alter its distribution model to accommodate us unless the model itself entails a conflict those principles.

At the moment, I endorse your application.

Reidob

1 month ago

Does a free email subscription give me access to all of the archives? To a statement of editorial and data use policies? In order to monitor a newsroom, Token Holders must have access to these. If the email subscription gives us this access, then I agree that this method of distribution is not at all problematic.

Christine_Bush

1 month ago

(Edited)

I don’t know if I agree that Token Holders are entitled to free, complete access to archives of every newsroom on the Registry. To me, that would be a tremendous disincentive for participation. Until that issue is sorted, as you are aware, I am opting to give newsrooms some wiggle room if a representative portfolio can be shared.

I would like to find editorial and data use policies posted to the web site.

Reidob

1 month ago

Thanks for this wonderful resource. I admire your courage and tenacity.

My one concern at this point is that I don’t see any About Arepita section on your newsroom. Is this behind the paywall? I am looking for a statement of editorial policy and ethical standards. Though I have no immediate concerns on either front, it is a requirement of membership on the Registry that we able to see what your newsroom policies are.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the best.

Reidob

1 month ago

I also don’t see any method for people to contact you with comments or concerns. Is this also behind the paywall? Thanks.